Thursday, July 9, 2009

If At First You Don't Succeed...

It was several days before the Fourth of July and I was convinced I could make an outfit fitting for the occasion. I awoke with the design in my mind and immediately I sketched it roughly on a bit of scratch paper. I anxiously anticipated the moment when I would set to turning this bit of fashion imagination into reality.

However as many people have learned time and time again, nothing ever goes as we planned. I spent several hours creating this dress. I made the top and although it fit at first I added another layer which unfortunately was too tight. I then decided to remove it. I then continued on my adventure, carefully cutting the skirt and sewing all my pieces together neatly. But alas, fate struck again. The skirt was misbehaving most atrociously. I put in a zipper in hopes this would solve all my problems...it
didn't.

I then scrapped the zipper for a longer one. I thought everything was peachy keen until I realized how horribly I had put the zipper in. Unfortunately by this point I was too beat to rip it out and try again. So I flung the carcass aside and left to retire my career as a designer of patriotic rubbish. Alas, as I was relaxing reading the newspaper I had the silly idea to read my horoscope. It said something along the lines of: "Look past a small disappointment. It may not be a lost cause. Back to the drawing board."

I was quite scandalized. How could my horoscope be so clever and demanding!? But for all my foolishness I listened and returned to the my lair where occurs m
y fashion havoc. I went into my box of "projects in progress" and was quite intrigued to find a project which I had completely forgotten about. It was the beginnings of a vest: a red flower pattern on white, with a blue back. Quite horribly patriotic.

So as the moral of the story goes if at first you don't succeed...throw it out and start again!

No comments:

Post a Comment