Monday, October 25, 2010

D.I.M. (Do it Myself)

My latest endeavor: A homemade headband

I started with a wire base and shaped it to my head. Then because wire is actually really not that comfortable (shock of the century!) I decided to cover it with a basic fabric. I chose some gray material I had lying around and cut it to the right size. My next step was to pin it into place and sew it on top of the wire. Once this was completed I could get down to the real business.

I took three strands of fabric (light blue, medium blue, and hot pink) and braided them together. After that I made sure that the braided strand would actually fit over the size of the headband. Thankfully it almost did, and I had the perfect solution so that it wouldn't look weird. I had a white bow also hanging out with my various bits and bobbles of sewing stuff, something I acquired from a dress that I purchased at a thrift store. The dress itself was pretty awful, but it had cool yellow buttons and several of these white bows. Being me, I promptly took it apart.

Next I had to sew the braid to the band. This wasn't too complicated except that the thread kept tangling and knotting (like it ALWAYS does) making it necessary to stop and restart several times. It wasn't the best sewing job I could've done but it worked for what I wanted. The last step was sewing on the bow to the spot that the braid stopped. Once this was done my project was complete.

Now I just need to make a killer outfit to go with it! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment