Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Confessions of a Fashion Conscious College Student

After four weeks of being on my college campus there are a few trends that I've noticed, some of them obvious, some of them unacceptable, and some just plain confusing.

First there's the obvious college sweatshirt, jeans/sweatpants combo. This trend is one that is almost considered the "uniform" for college campuses. Of course there are people who wear sweatshirts from their high schools, but the basic idea is the same. While I don't partake in this trend I can accept it as something that isn't going to go away.

Second there's the one thing that makes me more angry than any other trend: leggings worn as pants. OK, so you're proud of your butt, that doesn't mean the rest of us want to see it defined perfectly in skintight leggings. Also, there's the leggings that are downright ugly (I'm talking about the ones that have such details as leather patches in certain places...I mean, what is that all about??). I admit that I wear leggings, but usually they are under a dress/skirt or a long tunic, that covers what needs to be covered. The only exception to my rule is that you can wear leggings as pajamas. This is acceptable because it's in the privacy of your own home/room. Otherwise, the main point is, leggings are not pants!

Last but not least there is the one trend I find very baffling. There are plenty of girls who seem to be concerned with what they are wearing. They put together outfits in a manner that shows they spent time to figure out what would work with what. This makes sense and is what I do myself. But the thing that I find so backwards and completely nonsensical is the footwear. I am completely at a loss when I see a girl in a nice outfit...until you reach the shoes. I'm talking about wearing flip-flops. Why, oh WHY would you spend all that time putting together a classy/interesting/fashionable/chic outfit and then ruin the entire thing by wearing flip-flops?! I understand that flip-flops are easy to put on, easy to wear, and you don't have to think about getting your shoes messed up by bad weather. But seriously, will someone please explain this to me? If you want to wear shoes that show off your toenail polish, or that are easy to manage, why not wear some sandals that enhance your outfit? There is a world of sandals out there, go forth and discover them. Also, when the weather turns cold, are you still going to be happy walking around in flip-flops? Try some flats! Or even better, stock up on adorable boots (and no, UGGs, do not count).
My personal collection of sandals

Those are my observations so far, though I'm sure as the year progresses I will have more to say on the matter of college student fashion.

1 comment: